Updated: Mar 31, 2022
Oyster farming is the farming of oysters for their pearls, meat, and shells. Oysters are popular seafood that is growing in demand for their meat function in some parts of the country. Oyster meat is a rich source of omega-3 that boosts your memory and brain function.
Oyster by-products are also very useful because its shell contains 52-55% calcium oxides which are used to make lime, fertilizer, calcium carbide, and cement. The shell can also be used as poultry meat.
Methods of Oyster culture
•On-bottom culture:- In this method, oysters are raised on the ocean floor or at the bottom. Oyster grows like wild oysters. The main advantages of the lower method are oyster shell, which is very strong and very much. The disadvantage of this method is that the manufacturer may lose more oysters or they can die from suffocation or may be attacked by predators that cause large losses to manufacturers.
•Outstanding culture: In this method, oysters are raised without touching the ocean floor. The advantage is that the oysters are protected and wrapped so they are not afraid of loss, which means better productivity. The downside is that it needs more care to be cherished and requires extra maintenance to prevent odors.
There are several forms of oyster farming:
1. Cage culture- In this case, cages are used to raise oysters to avoid the loss of seawater.
2. Rack and bag culture- This crop is mainly planted at low tide to avoid damage to the bags.
3. Tray culture- The oyster farming tray is placed in trays and acts as growing bags. Space in the tray is kept for oysters.
4. Surface culture- Floating surface bags used in this culture and oysters are maintained in which floating on the surface of the water. When the corrosion of the attached gears occurs, rotate started that sea herbs or any creature exposed to the air.
5. Suspended culture- In this case, oysters are hung underwater and they fall and rise with the tide.
Oysters are harvested when conditions are high. As in Kerala, this is done in August-October in Lake Astamundi. The settling process is performed first. The oysters were placed in pots of water under the flow of filter algae for 24 hours. After 12 hours, the water is drained and a strong water jet is used to remove sand and silt particles. Oysters were treated with 3 ppm chlorinated water for 1 hour and rinsed before being placed on the market. Oysters are transported to the market in wet jute bags. The milking process is used to remove the fleshy part of the oyster. Stainless steel knives are used for the same.
There are many ways to process and store oysters:-
• Frozen oysters- Here, oysters are stored in plastic bags at 25 ° C and can be used for 6 months.
• Preservation of oysters- Here, oyster meat is chilled, washed, bleached in 3% salt water containing 0.1% citric acid for 4-5 minutes, canned, and then sterilized.
• Smoked oysters- Wash smoked oyster meat and treat with 5% salt water for 5 minutes. The meat is smoked at a temperature of 40 ° C for 30 minutes. Smoked meat is preserved in refined oil.
How to start a oyster pearl business?
•It requires good planning and focus, so make the right decision before starting a business.
•Give your business a name.
•Register your company and taxes.
•Fund your business.
•Create a license and get all the permits.
•Open a new business account.
•Take out business insurance.
•Prepare for launch through the website and online marketing.
• Build a team.
•Now you can make money with it.
Current status of oyster farming in India
Oyster farming is a highly profitable business, and the demand for meat is increasing day by day. Oyster farming has proven to be a boon to women in Kerala because it provides employment and financial support. Recently, a group of 40 women from Kochi harvested 16 units of oysters, each containing 1.5 tonnes. Many states also focus on oyster farming. Oyster meat is good for fat, iron, zinc, and omega 3. It helps to regulate mood and adapt to stress. #oysterfarmingstatus #oysterfarmingdetailsinindia #oysterfarmingbusiness
Oyster meat is also beneficial because it is composed of 53% protein, 14% glycogen and 11%. Taurine and oyster powder is also suitable for many heart diseases, blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, skin problems and more. Therefore, oyster farming is beneficial in several respects and has proper knowledge and skills.